Frequently Asked Questions

A recommendable collection of "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQ) for incoming students can be found here:

Do I have to speak German?

All courses of the Master's programme are held in English. Therefore no German knowledge is necessary, but sufficient knowledge of the English language is demanded to ensure that you are capable of following the courses. If you want to register for the Bachelor's programme you need German skills. Although exams can be written in English and most of the course material is provided in English too, lectures are held in German. Available German courses can be found on following website::

Where can I apply for a VISA?

Please search for the local Austrian representation in charge for any advice.

What subjects from a higher technical college are counted for a degree course in information technology?

Basically, education at a university of applied sciences has a more practical focus, while university education on the other hand also takes account of theoretical aspects. Questions of recognition are dealt with by the head of the course programme, Prof. Kyandoghere Kyamakya Contact.

What is the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)?

The European Credit Transfer System is a European system designed for students and deals with the accreditation, transfer and accumulation of student performance. The basis is the work that the student must do in order to achieve the objectives of the teaching programme. The ECTS system is based on the agreement that the work of full-time students during the academic year amounts to 60 ECTS credit points. According to the rules, 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a total of 25 real work hours within or outside the course.

What is matriculation?

The registration in the list of students at university is referred to as matriculation. Admission and membership of the University become valid upon issue of the matriculation number. The opposite is exmatriculation.

What is meant by an institute?

An institute is the smallest organisational unit of the University. Thus the different subject areas have their corresponding institutes, for instance the Institute of Mathematics or the Institute of History.

What types of courses are there?

Lecturers (VO) are courses in which knowledge is communicated by means of a lecture given by the teacher. The examination takes place in a single event and can be oral, in writing or both in writing and oral. Courses (Kurse - KU) are teaching courses in which the students work through the contents together with the teacher with a focus on experience and application. Introductory seminars (PS) are the preliminary stage for seminars. They communicate the basic knowledge about scientific work, introduce students to the specialist literature and deal with exemplary problems in the subject by means of papers, discussions and case discussions. Seminars (SE) serve academic discussion, with participants being expected to make their own contributions. Seminars are as a rule concluded by means of a written paper. Lectures with Course (VK) consist of a lecture element and a course elements that are closely linked to each other didactically and are graded together.

What is a Semester?

Half the academic year at an Austrian university is referred to as a semester. There is a winter and summer semester.

Can I start a degree programme in information technology in the summer semester?

It is possible to start studying both in the summer and in the winter semester.

What does the Admissions Department do?

The Admissions Department is one of the most important offices for ensuring the smooth operation of studies. This department is responsible for the ongoing support of students from matriculation to the accreditation of examinations and the processing of the individual stages of the degree programme.

What exactly is the induction stage?

To begin with, the students attend the most important introductory courses in their subjects and in academic work in order to be able to attend the more advanced courses.

What is a tutor?

Students in higher semesters use their experience to help students at the beginning of their studies, mostly within the framework of teaching courses or agreements, to better understand the content, exercises or procedures in their degree programme.

What is the Uni-Klu-Card?

Following matriculation, new students receive the Uni-Klu-Card bearing their photograph. This student ID allows them to borrow literature from the library and use the copying and printing equipment and other services at the university. Each year, after paying the OeH contribution, students must have the card printed with a new date at special consoles.